Sunday, June 9, 2013

A Balanced Breakfast...Nutella or Peanut Butter

A balanced breakfast is usually advertised as a glass of orange juice, a piece of fruit, and a piece of toast with some sort of topping. The two most common toppings for this toast are peanut butter and Nutella. I'm here to try and figure out which one is healthier. Now, I agree they are both very tasty and I enjoy them both (together they are magical!). I'm using regular Nutella and creamy Skippy peanut butter with a serving size of 2 tablespoons each. Lets compare, shall we?

Nutella
Calories: 200
Calories from Fat: 110
Total Fat: 12 grams
Protein: 2 grams

Peanut Butter
Calories: 190
Calories from Fat: 140
Total Fat: 16 grams
Protein: 7 grams

I didn't expect to have one be clearly more healthy than the other, but in my opinion, it seems that the Nutella is a bit better since fewer of the calories are from fat. He body does need a certain number of calories per day, and getting them at breakfast is a perfect time. There are studies out saying that breakfast should contain more studies than the rest of your meals. Nutella also has fewer grams of fat per serving by quite a few, and fat is something that many people, especially Americans, eat too much of. I would probably also go for Nutella as far as taste goes! However different people have different tastes, so I won't be judging on that aspect :P For instance, I had a discussion with someone from school who was a firm believer that peanut butter is better. I'm open for debates!
What are your opinions on these two toppings as far as a balanced breakfast go?

No comments:

Post a Comment